YAS invites internationals to volunteer along side with the local palestinians to resist and fight the occupation. If you are interested to work with us you can apply here (application) and we will be in touch with you shortly.
- Program Length: 2 week minimum, but longer stays are preferred
- Program Fee: $150-$300 per month (if there are special circumstances that make this fee prohibitive for you, please let us know). Program fee covers accommodations (bedding and blankets will be provided in communal sleeping space), utilities, some group meals, and participation in YAS events such as presentations and tours of Hebron. Volunteers will be expected to help with household tasks, such as cleaning communal spaces.
- Additional Expenses: In addition to the program fee, volunteers will have additional food and transportation expenses.
- Hours of volunteering: Average of 20 hours of volunteer work per week.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Social Media work: ~10 hours per week
- Web content, with special focus on video documentation: ~10-20 hours per week
- Written and photo documentation of human rights violations: ~10 hours per week.
- Editing and photo sorting. Involves English language editing.: ~10 hours per week.
- Networking and Public Relations with international organizations: ~10-20 hours per week
- Teaching English to children and/ or youth activists: ~10 hours per week.
- Companion children to and from their schools/ kindergartens: ~10 hours per week.
- Kids activities: ~5 hours per week
- Sports activities: ~5 hours per week
- Open Shuhada Street Campaign (August – February). Involves translating materials to other languages, contacting international groups to participate in the campaign, and more: ~10 hours per week
- Olive Harvest Campaign (15 October – 1 December).Involves olive picking and coordinating olive harvest volunteers: ~10-40 hours per week.
We are looking for volunteers who are able to take initiative and work hard without heavy supervision. We are looking for volunteers who are knowledgeable, committed, and passionate about justice in Palestine. The following is a list of skills that we are looking for in volunteers:
- Video production and editing
- Experience working with social media
- Language/ translation skills (Arabic, Hebrew, other European languages)
- English writing, editing, teaching, translating
- Experience working with children
- Experience with international organizations
- Knowledge with international law
- Campaign organizing
Advice for our volunteers:
To familiarize yourself about Hebron we suggest reading the informations that is on our webpage, our Facebook page and Mapping the apartheid. Furthermore we suggest reading and watching some of the following books and/ or webpages to familiarize yourself with the general situation in Palestine.
- The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine, by Ilan Pappe
- The Question of Palestine, by Edward Said
- Palestinian/Israeli Conflict: a Primer, by Phyllis Bennis
- Breaking the Silence, by Diane Chamberlain
- Lords of the Land: The War for Israel’s Settlements in the Occupied Territories, 1967-2007, by Idith Zertal and Akiva Eldar
- In Your Eyes a Sandstorm: Ways of Being Palestinian, by Arthur Neslen
- Israel’s Occupation, by Neve Gordan
- The General’s Son, by Miko Peled
- Strangers in the House: Coming of Age in Occupied Palestine, by Raja Shehadeh
- Palestine in Israeli School Books, by Nurit Peled
- Footnotes in Gaza, by Joe Sacco
- Mornings in Jenin, novel bySusan Abulhawa
Films and videos:
- Short introduction to the Israel and Palestine conflict – link
- Soldiers on the roof – link
- Occupied Minds – link
- Youth Against Settlements videos – link